Monday, April 15, 2013

Money Talks

It's a proven fact that money causes a great stress on an individual and couples. Before Trevor and I got married, we both had been responsible for our own income, bills, and spending. However, when we got married, not only did we merge two incomes, but we also merged two spenders along with the added bills and other financial responsibilities that comes with marriage- EEK!

Over the past two years, we have tried a couple different budgeting and money saving systems such as extreme couponing (who has the time for this?!) and using a spreadsheet to manage our checking account.   Both of which, just didn't prevented us from overspending.  It was astounding how easy it was to overspend, even when we thought we had a budget under control.  Debt was growing...

Upon talking with several friends who have taken the Dave Ramsey "Financial Peace University" through their churches, I became curious.  I began to research his teachings and found that he is all about dividing your income into categories, then carrying cash in envelopes pertaining to each category,  among many other great ideas which I will share in a bit.  But as I researched his program, both Trevor and myself just couldn't grasp the cash and carry method because:
  1. Who carries cash anymore?
  2. We do online shopping, so if all of our money is in cash, what do we do?
  3. We both grocery shop and run errands, so how do we coordinate who carries the envelopes at which time?
  4. What happens if we lose an envelope filled with cash?
  5. We have USAA for our banking and we do all of our banking online.
So, I began to strategize with Trevor practical money management ideas while implementing the Dave Ramsey processes of:
  1. Snowballing your debt payments.  (http://www.daveramsey.com/article/get-out-of-debt-with-the-debt-snowball-plan/)
  2. Having an emergency fund of at least $1000 for life's unexpected (http://www.daveramsey.com/company/faq/#emergency_fund)
  3. Create categories in which you spend your money (http://christianpf.com/how-to-use-dave-ramseys-envelope-system-to-budget/)
  4. Only spend what you have!
For the remainder of this post, I'm only going to discuss the debit cards and categories we use- the debt and emergency fund can be looked up online. 

Since we have free unlimited checking accounts, we decided to try the "envelope" system via debit cards. Believe it or not, we have 15 checking accounts and 1 savings account.  Don't worry, we actually only carry cards for 9 of them since they are the categories in which we mostly spend.  The other categories are checking "savings" accounts that we transfer money into, but aren't frequently used.  Here are the categories we created:
  • Paycheck Account (This is where our paychecks get deposited)
  • Gas
  • Groceries
  • Home (Target/Walmart/Household)
  • Date Night
  • Kristen's Allowance
  • Trevor's Allowance
  • Gifts (Birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary)
  • Pet (vet, food, treats, toys)
  • Vacation (Only used when we're on vacation)
  • Emergency Fund (EMERGENCIES ONLY!)
  • Bills 
  • Rent
  • Tithe
  • Auto Registration (it happens every year, so why not save a little each month?)
  • Future Home (Savings account)
The red categories are the accounts that we carry a labeled debit card for; the black accounts are categories that we either don't spend out of or we do primarily online banking with them. 


Our system:
  1. Our paychecks are deposited into one checking account labeled "Paycheck Account."  This is where our budget stems from.
  2. Since Trevor's income varies with each paycheck, we budget with what minimum amount his paychecks always are.  Any monies left over in that pay period go toward debt or into the house savings account.
  3. I use the sample spreadsheet below to transfer funds into the corresponding accounts each payday.  As the funds are transferred from the Paycheck Account into the corresponding category account, I highlight the cell on the spreadsheet to know that it has been accounted for.  
  4. Once all funds are transferred out of the Paycheck Account into the categories, we then use our debit cards for purchases and/or online banking to pay bills and other items.  

Since doing this process, we have found that BIG areas of overspending for us were in grocery shopping and date nights.  By going on a date one to two times a week or buying unnecessary items at the grocery store added up fast!

Here are the benefits we have already seen from this system:
  • This process has been a fairly smooth transition and we have found areas in which we need to increase our budget and decrease our budget.  
  • Our money is transparent to both of us.  We both know what goes where and how to spend it.
  • We haven't gone without.  We still have our own "fun money" for our WANTS and have confidence that we will have enough money for our NEEDS too.
  • We aren't using credit cards
  • Our debt is decreasing
  • We are still SAVING money too!
I'm not saying that our system is 100% effective or what's best for you and your situation, however, it has helped Trevor and I manage our money, which in turn, has alleviated lot of stress between us.  So far, we love it and I hope you will too!

I'd be more than happy to share my spreadsheet template with you!  Just leave a comment with your email address and I'll send it over. 


71 comments:

  1. Hello! I came across your blog from pinterest. I really like your idea of using debit cards to budget. If the offer is still there, I would like the template you use! Email: aandii@gmail.com

    Also, you and your husband each have a debit card for each account, correct?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, i also came across your blog on pinterest i was wondering if you could send me your spreadsheet? please =) anavic1421@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I would love a copy of your spreadsheet! My husband and I did the cash envelope system and it was amazing! We had a lot of the difficulties with it that you mentioned, and I think this would be an amazing way to do it! Thanks for sharing. swilson27@gmail.com.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like everyone if finding you on Pinterest, that's also where I found this post! LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of using the debit cards!!! My husband and I just got married in August and creating a budget has been on the list of things to do! Would love to use your spreadsheet to help with the process. It looks super strait to the point which is what we need. Thanks so much susanpants@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I love this idea please email me your spreadsheet! tamaraguystarks@gmail.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello
    I love this idea. please email me your spreadsheet to flor.lehocky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I too found your great post on Pinterest and would love to get a copy of the spreadsheet. asyambrown@gmail.com . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you please send me the template? Thanks so much. daniellalmanzar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you send me the template please. rissa.murray@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd really appreciate the template as well! We tried the cash system, but we also have USAA and found it very difficult. How do you go about opening the other accounts? Can it be done online or all on the phone?

    keona.hunter@yahoo.com

    THanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I'd like to use your template as well! amiyagi89@gmail.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did you get 15 separate accounts at one bank? Could you please send me your template? jricedavis@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you please send me your template? sherylkatc@yahoo.com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makes more sense to me since I do all of my banking and bill paying online as well, thanks! jerrinmendoza@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to use your template as well. cyecei@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to get a copy of your template. My husband just started a new job and we think this would be a great way to figure out how to manage our finances. Thank you! My email is am.eagle.girl07@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is brilliant! I would so grateful if I could use your template as well. Thank you!
    email: kelver29@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please send me the template as well!!

    lyssrjac91@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea, please send template to me as well pattersonmichelle@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the idea, can you send me your template? Thanks. nita1254@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the idea! Can you please send me the template you used? Thanks! :) Emily@etristate.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found you on Pinterest. Could you please send me the template? Thank you!

    Rachel.harbuck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found you on Pinterest as well. Could I get a copy? Thank you so much! tiffers5150@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this! would love of a copy if the offer still stands n.martin@gatech.edu thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is genius! I will be starting this week! Please email me your the,plate shawfamily2007@yahoo.com thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  26. Would like a copy of the template please! Love this idea!
    littlebear72ac@gmail.com
    Thank you! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! I would love to have your spreadsheet! my email is bri@clubtan.com

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, I would love to try out your spreadsheet, can you email me a copy please? dieanuhh@yahoo.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wallnerjax@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. love this, would you mind sending me a copy of your spreadsheet. koren.carpenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I Would Like To Try This. Can You Send Me A Copy Of Your Spreadsheet. Treysmomnc@yahoo.Com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love a copy of the spreadsheet. Thank you hsweeten07@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love a copy of your spreadsheet! sonyawilliams02@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to use your spreadsheet! megmarie5@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found you on Pinterest, and I LOVE this! If you are still sharing your spreadsheet, I would love to have it, too! Email is englecourtney@gmail.com. Thanks so, so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Please share your spreadsheet, I need help! julie@theprecisionline.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd love the spreadsheet if you dont mind sharing. miamieventplanner@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dying for this
    Spread sheet like everyone else!
    Please! Michelledm.martin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would love a copy of this spreadsheet too! Kakristoff@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would like a copy as well. Well done. PNC will also offer multiple checking accounts, but your direct deposit has to be over a certain amount each month. anohewitt3@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Can you please send me a copy of your template. Thanks. . kieabarnes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love the dave ramsey method but had yet to figure out a solution to not doing cash in envelopes due to the same fact you mentioned, which is we bank with USAA and its all online. I would love to have you send me the spreadsheet if its still available at taracrispin@yahoo.com

    thanks so much for your inventive way of solving the cash situation. I hope this will work for us

    ReplyDelete
  43. Please send me your spreadsheet! haleymcarson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi thanks so much for your info!!! can you pleas send me a copy of your spreedsheet! thanks so much blinky991@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, can I please have a copy of your template. Thank you so much.
    jjastronomo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. came across your blog and was wondering about getting a copy of your template. <3 thanks in advance! sparrow8638@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi, can I please get a copy of your template. Thank-you!
    mariposamiriam@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Can you please send me a copy of your template? Thanks! kristinmichelle12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great idea. Can I also get a copy of the template.?? andradeguy@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. This looks amazing! We bank with USAA as well. How did you get all the accounts opened and going?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hello.. This is wonderful! I have gone through Financial Peace University myself. I also bank with USAA. I would love your spreadsheet and info on how you opened all those accounts. Threelittleloves@gmail.com Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'd like the template as well please. I like this system. Tanishanwalker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love this new idea :) I would like a template of the spreadsheet so I can get ready to help pay for my college tuition
    gryffondorsevenyear2014@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great idea! I would love to try it. I am more likely to spend cash if I have it on me. I can be more disciplined using a debit card, believe it or not. Would love the template! Carrie.e.ford@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'd love the template! Thanks! Keri.keglar@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is a crazy question, but what did you use to write the categories on the cards?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you so much for this post! I want to use an envelope system but had the same issue you did above. The separate checking accounts never occurred to me. I am going to call my bank and see if we can do this. I'd also love to try your spreadsheet if you don't mind sending it over.
    sarahbeesley@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  58. great idea! If you don't mind. Can you send me the template as well? kristinapopik@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love the idea of using the debit cards instead of the cash/envelopes. Can you please send me your template to pash4@embarqmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  60. Would love to get a copy of the spreadsheet also! Great idea about doing cash system through debit cards!! love it! alofa.aveina@gmail.com Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi, I would love to try out your spreadsheet, can you email me a copy please?

    lesly.guerrero@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. interested in the spreadsheet, please! :)

    lj.bennett88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Thanks send spreadsheet

    Phoebusbill@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. We have tried the debit card for our own spending, but not our entire budget... this makes sense. Great tips. could you please send a copy of the spreadsheet - ecsnyder75@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. Is there a way that this spreadsheet can be emailed (msmuscular@gmail.com) or placed on a Google Drive?

    ReplyDelete
  67. can i please get your template?

    ReplyDelete
  68. If this is still an option, I'd love to use your template. How were you able to get so many checking accounts? I think this us a great idea especially in paying for everything online.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Mitzi
    Zachandmitzihorn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I would love to get a copy of your template! Thanks
    Moorefam2000@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hello i would love a copy of your spreadsheet as well, such a great idea.
    lovetosk8@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  71. I came across your post on Pinterest and am interested in getting a copy of your spreadsheet. I love the check card idea instead of carrying cash. alarasteph@yahoo.com

    Thanks, Aimee

    ReplyDelete